Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Rocketeer turns 35!

This month marks the 35th anniversary of The Rocketeer's publication debut. I have to admit, since I was only about 5 months old when it was released in April of 1982, I didn't discover the character until the Disney film almost a decade later. By ten years old I was already immersed in the world of pulp heroes and the characters influenced by the genre ( Indiana Jones, The Shadow, The Phantom etc.). It was safe to say I was completely blown away when Cliff donned that rocket pack and took off for the skies. The very next day I was in the comic shop asking about the Rocketeer. Thank goodness they introduced me to the books and the art of Dave Stevens. The Rocketeer has been my favorite comics character ever since. Here is a recent piece of fan art I drew up commemorating the anniversary as well as a handful of times I've drawn the character on previous occasions.



















No comments: